Become a Spirit AeroSystems Assembly Mechanic!
Spirit AeroSystems has joined with the Kansas Department of Commerce, Workforce Centers of South Central Kansas, 180Skills and Hutchinson Community College (HCC) to offer a training pathway for a full-time employment opportunity at Spirit AeroSystems as an Assembly Mechanic.
View job details for Spirit AeroSystems Assembly Mechanics.
Only individuals interested in a position as an assembly mechanic with Spirit AeroSystems and who are eligible to work in the United States will be considered for this program, which is offered at no cost to participants.
Below is a step-by-step process of the training pathway and the requirements for interested individuals at each stage of the process.
STEP 1: Complete the online Aerospace Structures Basics Training
1. All individuals interested in participating in the training pathway must complete the 180Skills online Aerospace Structures Basics training.
2. To register, please visit any one of the Workforce Centers of South Central Kansas and express interest in obtaining the Aerospace Structures Basics Certificate.
a. Workforce Center locations can be found at http://workforce-ks.com/contact-us/.
b. Workforce Center staff will register participants who express interest in the program and are committed to completing the entire training pathway.
c. Create or update your account at www.kansasworks.com.
3. Training is online, self-paced and must be completed within two weeks.
STEP 2: Application and Interview with Spirit AeroSystems
4. Individuals who successfully complete the online training will receive the Aerospace Structures Basics Certificate and a link to apply for the Assembly Mechanic position at Spirit AeroSystems.
5.The first 40 individuals to obtain the Aerospace Structures Basics Certificate and apply for the Assembly Mechanic position will be scheduled for interviews with the Spirit AeroSystems team.
Note: This is only the first phase of the program. Additional participants who obtain the certificate and apply will be invited to interview with the company in later sessions.
6. Upon completion of interviews, Spirit AeroSystems will make job offers to those applicants who they believe are a good fit for the role and the company.
Note: Not all individuals who interview with Spirit AeroSystems will be extended offers from the company. Spirit will offer full-time jobs to only those individuals who they believe can successfully execute the requirements of an Assembly Mechanic at the company.
STEP 3: Complete Pre-employment Contingencies & Aerospace Assembly Technician Training Program
7. Applicants offered and who accept full-time jobs with the company will be required to go through Spirit’s pre-employment contingency process, which includes drug screen, medical screen, background check and completion of the ACT WorkKeys Assessments.
a. In Kansas, there is no charge for taking the ACT WorkKeys assessments at the local Workforce Centers.
b. To register, please visit http://workforce-ks.com/workshops_type/kansas-work-ready/
8. Applicants offered and who accept full-time jobs with the company will be enrolled in the HCC Aerospace Assembly Technician training program in Wichita. There are four opportunities for participants to attend the HCC Aerospace Assembly training. Training dates for 2019 are as follows:
April 8-May 30, 2019
June 3-July 25, 2019
July 29-Sept. 19, 2019
Sept. 30-Nov. 21, 2019
Note: The grant from the State of Kansas covers the full cost of the HCC training program; however, applicants will not be paid or otherwise reimbursed for their time taken to complete the HCC training.
STEP 4: Begin Your Career as an Assembly Mechanic at Spirit AeroSystems!
9. Those applicants who successfully clear the pre-employment contingencies and complete the Aerospace Assembly Technician training at Hutchinson Community College will start at Spirit immediately following the completion of the eight-week program.
Note: Applicants must successfully complete the training program and all other contingencies within the eight weeks of the HCC Aerospace Assembly Technical Training in order to start at Spirit the day after they complete class.